Just a month away from Heavy Horse World Autumn issue!
Heavy Horse World Autumn issue has gone to press, so it’s just under a month before it will be on your doorsteps. It's another packed 76-page issue with loads of news and features and a huge 20-page shows and events section. If you are due to renew get in touch with us soon to ensure you get your copy as soon as it's out, and if you aren't a subscriber yet, why not consider it. It's only £26 for the year (£28 Europe, £30 rest of the world). You can subscribe or renew here. One of the great things about Heavy Horse World is the quality - and quantity - of its photos. There are more than 200 in each issue! Here's one from the upcoming issue to tempt you - it's Greg Rawlins’ champion foal at Melton Mowbray Show, Bromford Fascination, photographed by Kevin Wright.
Heavy Horse World Summer issue is now out!
- The Summer 2014 issue launches the showing season, featuring our reports on the National Shire Horse Show and the National Stallion Show for the Clydesdale in Scotland. There is plenty of news and masses of features and articles on all aspects of your favourite equines - here’s a picture of the Clydesdale Cawdor Cup winner, Charlotte Young’s Doura Master Eddie, who also took the Prince of Wales Cup for the best exhibit overall, by Jim Crichton.
- The Heavy Horse World 2015 Calendar is now available! Complete your order form in the magazine or order it direct from this website
- Watch out for articles on how horses are helping restore ancient ice age ponds in Norfolk, discover the importance of draught geometry – a practical look at how harness works best, and read two profiles of young people making their mark on the heavy horse world – here’s two of them, Charlotte Webb and Luke Beech, seen here at the Great Dorset Steam Fair.
- Discover a Suffolk horse business on the Somerset Levels, and read about how the Suffolk Horse Society has ensured memories of the iconic breed have been captured forever. Suffolks were also at Southern Counties Heavy Horse Association’s Spring Working in Hampshire – see pictures from a beautiful sunny day out.
- Catch up with our new series, Under Saddle, written by Annie Rose of Cumbrian Heavy Horses – this issue she tackles the best way to buy a heavy horse, including the pitfalls. Doug Joiner describes how he put together a new set of harness, using the best ideas from around the world.
- We look at dentistry and the heavy horse, and how teeth problems affect a horse’s health, and consider whether native horses are in crisis, as well as celebrating 10 years of the European association for the working horse.
- Read all about the ‘Cock Horse’ from the horse era: Brian O’Riordan shares his research on its history, and Bob Powell reflects on warhorses as the country commemorates the start of the First World War, using images from his own archive. Plus we have a question for you on a rather unusual horseshoe.
- Don’t forget to go to Heavy Horse World Shop to see our full range of titles including The Working Horse Manual, Heavy Horses, Goodbye Old Friend, and a host of DVDs.
Subscribe to the magazine here
What's in the Magazine
Practical features and tips
Heavy Horse Ads!
New ads are being uploaded all the time, and watch out for events happening between magazines which you might otherwise miss!
– covering Breeders; Horses, harness & carriage hire; Training courses; Horse feeds, services and products; Horse-drawn vehicles, harness & equipment; Shows and Auctions.
Undoubtedly the best UK calendar featuring entirely draught horses! 12 fantastic colour photographs of heavy horses from all over the UK.