Heavy Horse World Summer issue is now out – the 130th!
Amazingly this is the 130th issue of Heavy Horse World since it was launched in 1987! It has not been the easiest of times to get such an auspicious issue together, as we all deal with the effects of the Coronavirus pandemic and lockdown. Notably the main feature of the Summer number – the National Shire Horse Show – is absent of course, having been cancelled with many other events right through to the end of August. We have been focused on producing a great Summer issue in spite of everything, and hope the articles, stories and photos will provide enjoyment for all our readers and some reassurance that life will return to some sort of normality. So here are some highlights: get an update on working horses in urban spaces with Operation Centaur in London; read the story of how one heavy horse owner survived the Winter flooding against all the odds; find out which Suffolk owner has received a top award for his work, and enjoy a profile of a Swedish Shire breeder who has had much success in the UK and America. Plus, there’s news of Clydesdale semen saved for the Rare Breeds Survival Trust’s gene bank, the latest in William Castle’s series on jobs for working horses (this issue it’s cultivation), and another of Roy Tidman’s articles on heavy horse history. The call goes out for more Suffolk owners, and Rita Wells has provided a fascinating insight into the work of show stewards. Bob Powell – one of our longest-standing contributors whose first article was submitted in 1989 – digs into his archive for historic photos of Scottish ‘lady ploughers’. Don’t forget you can subscribe and renew your subscription via our website, www.heavyhorseworld.co.uk, or give us a ring with your card details. Some things have continued despite Covid-19; thank goodness for nature and the pattern of country life. Take care everyone, and stay safe.
Other highlights –
· Top Shire photo competition pictures
· Coronavirus – and a look back at the foot-and-mouth outbreak
· Your photos – and photographers’ favourites
· British Horse Loggers’ plans to entice new members
· New research into heavy horse heart health
· A glorious inheritance – the trophies of F E Muntz
· And don’t forget to go to Heavy Horse World Shop to see our full range of titles including The Working Horse Manual, Heavy Horses, Showing the Heavy Horse, and a host of DVDs including A Beginner’s Guide to Heavy Horses and Plaiting the Heavy Horse for Showing.