Heavy Horse World Winter 2017 issue is now out!
Our 30th anniversary year goes out with a bang with our 120th issue! It’s packed with reports from Summer 2017 including the Shire of the Year final and the British Ridden Heavy Horse championship from the Horse of the Year Show; the Foal Shows from the Autumn, the Suffolk Spectacular, Leicester Show with its reintroduced heavy horse classes; the top ploughing matches, including the British National and the SCHHA Great All England; Countryfile Live and the Shire Horse Society’s new Working Horse Festival. Read the story of harness champion Fifield Admiral, a tale about a poorly foal who grew into a prize winner, our update on a new horse-drawn farm in Devon, and reflections on what it means to be a horseman in the ‘New Horse Age’. Order your 2018 Heavy Horse World Calendar, take out a subscription, and the latest books and DVDs on heavy horses. Get the news, comment and practical tips, as well as enjoying articles on every aspect of the working horse world, from riding and logging, to driving and working. Don’t miss it – you can’t get this level of news about your favourite equines anywhere else!
Peter Young drives his four-horse Shire team in a driving trials demonstration at the Shire Horse Society’s Working Horse Festival in Nottinghamshire. Photograph: Kevin Wright
Randy Hiscock’s unusual pickaxe hitch of five home-bred Suffolk Punches to a Hall & Woodhouse Brewery dray won the teams class at the Great Dorset Steam Fair. Photograph: Kirstin Darke
- RBST puts figure on saving heavy horses
- Under Saddle – our series on ridden heavies: this issue – clipping
- A foot in both camps –one man and his love of steam trains and heavy horses
- Getting winter feeding right
- And don’t forget to go to Heavy Horse World Shop to see our full range of titles including The Working Horse Manual, Heavy Horses, Goodbye Old Friend, and a host of DVDs including A Beginner’s Guide to Heavy Horses and Plaiting the Heavy Horse for Showing.